8 Ways to Successfuly Manage Stress
Stress is something we all experience at one time or other. Whereas too much stress can interfere with daily life and have negative effects on your health, the right amount of stress – managed successfully – can work for you rather than against you. Learn some quick and simple ways you can prevent stress from ruling your life.
- Keep a nutritious diet. Eat vegetables, fruits, and whole grains while abstaining from sugar, fast food, and fried food.
- Make sure you’re giving yourself enough sleep. Set aside 8 hours each night for sleeping. If solid sleep is a hurdle for you, try making your room a sanctuary of relaxation. Keep your room dark, quiet, and cool. Going to bed at the same time each night will help to create restful sleep, as will avoiding watching TV from your bed.
- If giving up caffeine is something you simply can’t live without, try at least reducing your intake from coffee and caffeinated tea, soft drinks, and energy drinks. Too much caffeine can make you jittery and anxious, preventing relaxation.
- Set some time aside for yourself. Read a book or pursue a fun hobby to take your mind off of your concerns and to help yourself feel more accomplished.
- Spend time with people you care about. Hanging out with the people you love can cheer you up, improve you optimism, and help you deal more easily with stressors.
- Follow a regular exercise routine that includes activities of your choice, such as swimming, walking, lifting or biking. Getting fit helps your body manage stress better, and the physical activity will put you in a better mood.
- Stay organized. A great deal of stress can come when you have so many commitments or you do not know which obligations to attend to next.
- Phone a friend when you feel stress start to swallow you up. Just talking to someone with a sympathetic ear can help you relax and boost your confidence.