Printing Decals for Models from your Home Printer
Model building is a hobby that has been around for many years. There are many model projects to suit the creative hobbyist. Model airplanes and cars are classics. Model boats, houses and era specific crafts are all popular as well. Models are used for home decor as well as school projects or contests. Many times getting the supplies needed to complete these projects can be expensive and hard to find. If you have a specific idea in mind of what you want your model to look like or a particular decal or logo that may not be readily available, it might be time to consider creating your own decals using your home printer. Don't be limited by what's available in a store. Use your imagination and creativity to produce a one-of-a-kind model.
The supplies you'll need are: sticker or decal paper, a craft knife, ruler, cutting surface, templates or other cutting guides.
Here are some simple steps to printing and creating your own decals.
1. Go to your local office supply, craft or hobby store and pick up some sheets of sticker or decal paper. These sheets generally come in standard 81/2" x 11" size. You can usually choose between clear and white.
2. Cutting tools and templates can be found at the craft or hobby store as well as a scrap booking supply store. Look for a self healing cutting surface as well as a small knife with a sharp blade.
3. Create the decal using a program or by downloading images from the internet. Google images are a great resource for all kinds of pictures and logos. Logos can also be downloaded from many of your favorite websites.
4. Use your home printer to print the images and logos on to the sticker or decal sheets. If you cut and paste more than one to a blank document, you'll be able to save on the sheets. Also, if you paste them as images, you'll be able to adjust the size.
5. Once you have your printed sheets, use your cutting tools and guides to cut them out of the sheets. I knife will work better and look cleaner than a pair of scissors.
6. Now you're ready to affix them to your model. Make sure the surface is clean and dry. Use the same method that you'd use with store bought decals.
Printing your own decals with your own printer and ink cartridges gives you more than the standard options available in a hobby shop. It will really make your models stand out. You'll be sure to have the most original model for your school or organization's contest. You can use your creations to decorate a room or fill a display case. Printing decals is as simple as finding an item you like or creating your own. The only limit is your imagination.
Find out about new 123inkjets coupons, deals, and discounts.